Curriculum Intent for English
It is our intention, at Over St. John’s, when teaching the English curriculum, that our pupils acquire the necessary knowledge, skills and understanding to become lifelong learners and linguists. We strive to ensure that all our pupils receive a well-rounded learning experience when reading, writing, speaking and listening, which will equip them with the fundamental tools to achieve, not only during their time at our school, but in the next stages of their education and their life. It is our intention to immerse pupils in the wonders of quality texts to instil a love for reading and writing, a passion for discovery and a confidence to explore their imagination across the curriculum. English is a core subject of the National Curriculum and a prerequisite for educational and social progress as it underpins the work undertaken in all other areas of the curriculum.
- to ensure that every child can read, write and speak and listen with confidence, fluency and understanding by the time they leave Over St. John’s CE Primary School;
- to promote and instil a love for reading, writing and high-quality literature into pupils at all ages;
- to encourage every child to develop a positive attitude towards reading, writing, speaking and listening so that they become pleasurable and meaningful activities;
- to derive an ambitious English curriculum which is sequenced and coherently planned to develop the acquisition of knowledge and skills whilst following a mastery approach to learning;
- to design and develop a curriculum which allows flexibility so that it meets the changing needs of our school and cohorts of children.